Enrichment Classes for Parents and Care Providers
For more information and to pre-register for any of the classes listed below please contact:
For Kennebec County:
Deb Rich at 859-1580 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Emily Buckhalter at 859-1514 or email@example.com
For Somerset County:
Kristen Plummer at 859-2520 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne Osolinski at 859-2521 or email@example.com
The First Five Years
In this series of 4 classes you will learn discipline methods that work, how to prevent tantrums, establishing routines to make life easier, and much more. This class is designed for parents of children from birth-age 5.
Active Parenting Now
This series of six classes combines video, activities and discussion to help parents raise responsible children who are able to resist negative peer pressure. Designed for parents of children ages 5 to 12, the program also demonstrates non-violent discipline techniques and effective encouragement skills.
Cooperative Parenting and Divorce
This video-based 8-week program gives divorcing or separating parents the power to make positive changes that shield their children from parental conflict and guides them into establishing a long-term relationship with the childâ€™s other parents.
- Educates parents on the impact their conflict has on their children
- Explains childrenâ€™s issues in divorce
- Teaches parents the practical skills they need to manage anger, increase impulse control, resolve conflict and talk to each other without arguing
- Is designed to be the â€śnext stepâ€ť for parents in counties that require divorce seminars.
Community Nurturing Parenting
This is a free 10-week program tailored to meet the needs and
learning styles of anyone parenting a child! The classes focus on and
- Philosophy and Practices of Nurturing
- Ages and Stages of Growth : Infants/Toddlers
- Ways to Enhance Positive Brain Development : Children/Teens
- Communicating with Respect
- Building Self-worth
- Understanding Feelings
- Understanding and Developing Family Morals, Values and Rules
- Praising Children and Their Behavior
- Alternatives to Spanking
- Learning Positive Ways to Deal with Stress and Anger
The Nurturing Fathers Program
A 13-week program tailored to meet the needs and learning styles of any man parenting a child!
The class focuses on the value of fathers and explains:
- The Roots of Fathering
- Nurturing Our Children and Ourselves
- Fathering Sons/Fathering Daughters
- Discipline Without Violence
- Managing Anger/Resolving Conflict
- Teamwork with Spouse/Partner
- Communication/Problem Solving
- Balancing Work and Fathering
- Cultural Influences
- Dealing with Feelings
- The Father I Choose to Be
Kids First Program Supporting Families of Separation and Divorce
A one-day, four-hour workshop, designed to help
parents address problems and decrease the negative effects of divorce.
Topics will include:
- Children's needs as the marital and family roles change
- The effects of divorce on children and children's reaction to divorce
- Making decisions about parenting arrangements
- Dealing with conflict without involving children
- Helping children adjust to differences between households
Maine Children's Trust
A statewide non-profit organization whose mission is to prevent child abuse and neglect.